Affirming resolve to intensify the world peasantry’s struggle and strengthen solidarity against imperialist plunder, crisis, and war
We, delegates at the Fifth International Assembly of the International League of Peoples’ Struggle under Commission No. 6, declare that:
Imperialist powers headed by the United States are heavily obsessed with perpetuating the bankrupt neoliberal economic policy that is the root cause of the deep economic crisis that the world faces today. They obfuscate the reality that the crisis of overproduction in the frenzied drive to accumulate profits and concentrate capital in the hands of the monopoly bourgeoisie buttressed with policies of privatization of state assets, deregulation of social services, and denationalization of underdeveloped countries is the major cause of the severe crisis confronting us today.
The chronic crisis of imperialism has led to the intensification of plunder of the world’s wealth and resources, including land, water, forests, and mineral resources, by the monopoly bourgeoisie, and their local agents, driving millions of farmers to landlessness, unprecedented poverty, and hunger;
Imperialism is a roadblock to genuine agrarian reform and rural development, and the cause of concurrent underdevelopment. US imperialism perpetuates the age-old problem of feudalism and semi-feudalism in underdeveloped countries and is bound to further intensify land-grabbing to further siphon off and exploit any remaining cheap raw materials and resources;
The worsening crisis of US imperialism trampled and undermined the national patrimony and sovereignty of underdeveloped countries, and prevents these countries from developing through genuine agrarian reform and national industrialization;
After the 2008 financial and economic crisis, US imperialism and the monopoly bourgeoisie found and expressed significant interest on farmlands as a portfolio investment to further squeeze super-profits at the expense of peasants and agriculture. Massive and widespread land grabs are now taking place in underdeveloped countries coupled by speculation in land prices;
Agricultural trade liberalization imposed by US imperialism has resulted in the dumping of agricultural surpluses of monopoly capitalist countries to its neo-colonies and client states, the killing of local agricultural production, and the massive bankruptcy and displacement of peasants from their farmlands;
US imperialism is capitalizing on imperialist instruments and multi-lateral economic organizations and international finance institutions like the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB), the World Trade Organization (WTO), and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) to further dictate and impose anti-people and anti-peasant economic policies on underdeveloped countries. US imperialism seeks to enhance its hegemony over East Asia and further drives the consensual re-division of the world through the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA) that seeks to legitimize monopoly capitalists’ trampling of national sovereignty of underdeveloped countries;
The crisis is generating sharp contradictions among the imperialist powers. While Russia and China assisted the US-NATO alliance in the wars of aggression against Iraq and Afghanistan, they have organized the Shanghai Cooperation Organization to countervail the US and the NATO. US imperialism has launched wars of aggression in the Baltic, Middle East and Africa, and is further provoking interventionist wars in East Asia and against the upstart imperialist China through the US’ strategic pivot in the Asia Pacific region under the US Counter-Insurgency Guide (US COIN Guide);
The world turmoil brought about by the bankruptcy of the neoliberal economic policy regime and the grave crisis of the world capitalist system is igniting mass unrests in the industrial capitalist countries and the people’s collective resistance in the underdeveloped countries. The worsening world economic crisis and the spread of the turmoil to the Asia and Pacific region due to US machinations presents greater opportunities to the region and the exploited and oppressed peoples of the world to advance the revolutionary cause.
We conclude and approve the following calls for action:
- Intensify the global people’s struggle for genuine agrarian reform. Conduct study conferences on genuine agrarian reform and on the current imperialist scheme of financialization of land and agriculture.
- Resist all forms of imperialist manoeuvre in global agriculture including but not limited to the sinister agenda of G-8 and G-20 group of nations. Actively confront and campaign against the imperialist agenda enshrined in free trade agreements, bilateral free trade pacts and those being sold for political acceptance by instruments of imperialist bloc like the UN, the IMF-WB, WTO to cite a few.
- Expose and oppose imperialist plunder, land-grabbing, and financialization of land and agriculture masquerading as Public-Private Partnership Projects.
- Remain vigilant and active in exposing and opposing agrochemical and agribusiness transnational monopolies and stop anti-people and pro-imperialist agenda in global agriculture.
- Fight all forms of state repression and continuing political persecution against farmers, farmworkers, Dalits, peasant women, indigenous peoples and fisherfolk who pursue their democratic rights through militant struggle. Free all peasant political prisoners. Expose and oppose criminalization of agrarian cases.
- Expose and oppose the US Coin Guide. Aggressively stage national, regional and global campaign against the US-designed and orchestrated military plan which seek to terrorize the struggling farmers and people of the world.
- Expose, oppose and resist the global manoeuvre of imperialist led G-8 and G-20 and their free-trade campaigns like AFTA, NAFTA, CAFTA, and APEC, and the FTAAP and TPPA as well as bilateral trade agreements.
- Reject and resist the deceptive programs of the International Monetary Fund-World Bank (e.g. the market-assisted land reform and its mega-infrastructure projects) and other multilateral organizations that are only meant to intensify peasants’ landlessness and exploitation.
- Expose and actively struggle against pseudo farmers’ organizations and NGOs masquerading as pro-peasant and pro-poor and who are serving as agents of imperialism and reaction.
We further resolve to undertake the following actions:
- Support the campaign of Land to the Landless and adoption of March 29 as International Day of the Landless
- Support the campaign against exploitation of migrant labor in agriculture in developed countries
- Support the campaign for the realization of labor and union rights of agricultural workers
- Reaffirm the support for the campaign for the distribution of Hacienda Luisita lands
- Expose and oppose historical role of imperialist plunder in causing the climate crisis
- Condemn the criminal neglect of the Philippine government to the victims of typhoon Haiyan
- Support the resistance to militarization and plunder in Mindanao
- Support the resistance against oil palm plantations and other TNC plantations
- Condemn and hold the imperialists accountable for the Indonesian haze and global environmental contamination
- Condemn and support the campaign against the “blue economy”
- Study financialization in agriculture
- Condemn and support the campaign against Chinese expansionism in South China Sea
- Reject hazardous chemical-based agriculture
- Expose and oppose mega dams in India and in the Philippines.
- Support the campaign for the pull out of military forces in peasant communities
- Mobilize the rural youth in the struggle for genuine agrarian reform
- Adopt October 16 as World Hunger Day and organize a globally coordinated action
- Support the campaign for free irrigation
- Mobilize against the agribusiness for tobacco production
- Support the armed resistance of Palestine, Kurds, and other people’s wars for land and liberation