By MALCOLM GUY
ILPS General Secretary
Dear ILPS members and friends,
Warmest anti-imperialist solidarity greetings as 2015 gets underway.
I join with the Chairperson of the International Coordinating Committee (ICC) of the International League of Peoples’ Struggle (ILPS), Prof. Jose Maria Sison, in congratulating you for all your achievements over the last year and am certain you will rise to the task once again in answering the Chair’s call to Intensify Mass Struggles and Aim for Greater Victories over the coming year and beyond.
I would like to take this opportunity to quickly underline several important tasks that lie before us in 2015.
- Organization of the 5th International Assembly of the ILPS (ILPS 5IA) which will be held in the Philippines in November 2015. We convey our appreciation to the ILPS Philippine chapter for agreeing to host the 5IA and to the ILPS Hong Kong – Macao chapter for agreeing to play a front line role in the organization of the Assembly.
- The ILPS 5IA will take place following the holding of a counter conference and widespread mobilization (rallies, picket lines, etc.), with strong ILPS involvement, to the meeting of the imperialist-dominated Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), also to be held in the Philippines in November 2015.
- Meetings of the ICC and the International Coordinating Group (ICG) of the ILPS are to be held in Europe in February 2015 at which time the details of the 5IA will be discussed and finalized. All ICG and ICC members are encouraged to attend in person. (ICC members should contact the ILPS Secretariat if they have not yet received the formal invitation.)
- ILPS country chapters and other ILPS bodies – commissions, global region committees, country chapters and member-organizations – are encouraged to meet to prepare for the ILPS 5IA over the coming months, including organizing and raising funds to bring significant delegations of members (and allies and observers) to the 5IA. Please forward your suggestions and any questions to the ILPS Secretariat.
- ILPS member organizations and country chapters are encouraged to make sure their yearly dues are in order and up-to-date in order to provide funds for the ILPS Secretariat and the ICG and ICC to have the financial means to ensure a successful International Assembly. Contact the ILPS Secretariat and Treasurer (Theo Droog) if you need more information or to check on the status of your financial responsibilities.
- Allied organizations of the ILPS such as the International Migrant’s Alliance (IMA), the International Women’s Alliance (IWA) and the International Conference of Progressive Culture – People’s Art Network (ICPC-PAN), and other such groupings, are encouraged to convey as soon as possible to the ILPS Secretariat any proposals for meetings before and around the ILPS 5IA so coordination can be maximized.
Ruth De Leon, myself, and the rest of the ILPS Secretariat are looking forward to hearing of your plans and receiving your input as we move towards the ILPS 5IA.
Warmest solidarity wishes and a militant anti-imperialist salute as we intensify our efforts “to further arouse, organize and mobilize the people for greater victories in our mass struggles and in the common struggle for democracy and socialism against imperialism and reaction”.